Friday 7 March 2014

My Sex and The City Moment

...Now where did I leave my Manolo's?

One day I will own a pair!


Those who know me, know I have a slight shoe love obsession. Just call me Imelda! I have had to curb a serious habit in the past 6-12 months, partly due to the house, but mostly because I just can't fit anymore pairs in the shelf I currently have them stored in! Its literally overflowing!
Old photo, there are boxes stacked across the top of every shelf as with the second shelf now!

So, it should come as no surprise that the new wardrobe fitout had to have decent shoe storage! Visions of Carries closet in the SATC movie would always flash through my mind whenever I thought about it, and while I don't have that budget, I knew I could work on something more my scale!

Gorgeous!

After extending the WIR many times during the design process, it finally got to a point where I had no more room to expand, so I got to designing various layouts to try and get the pretties stored in a way that did them justice. 

With the double hanging rails and shoe space I was hoping for, I decided Ikea was probably going to be our cheapest option, so I got to designing a custom layout on their PAX Wardrobe planner. There was just one issue, the PAX system comes in set sizes, so we would inevitably be left with 20cm on one end and 10cm would need to be trimmed from the other. Not ideal, but with the husband being a carpenter, it didn't seem like too much of an issue, and for a good price, it seemed like an issue I could deal with.

Out of interest I decided to email a couple of cabinet makers and a wardrobe supplier I found through google, just for a price comparison, expecting pricing to come back cementing the Ikea decision.

Imagine my surprise when one company came back with a price that was only $150 higher than it would cost me to get everything from Ikea, and this involved a custom made-to-measure supply and install fitout plus a 10 year warranty! $150 for someone to do it, and do it well? Yes please! That saves us a trip to Perth with the trailer to pick everything up, and at least 1, probably more, days of frustration trying to get everything to work how I'd hoped!

Our Custom Layout

The style of product we will receive


So, today, I have emailed the wonderful people at Lifestyle Wardrobes to ask them to sign me up, and book it in!

Now, I am on the lookout for a lovely chandelier and a storage ottoman to double as a shoe/sock-putting-on seat!

I suspect this may well become my favourite room in the house! 

No comments:

Post a Comment